Our First Place Cupcake Recipe
from Josephene Robertson
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice (from a can of crushed pineapple)
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract
- 8 oz. crushed pineapple (drain well)
- Maraschino cherry (garnish)
- Toasted coconut (garnish)
*Coconut Buttercream Frosting
- 2 lb powdered sugar
- 8 oz salted butter
- 8 oz shortening
- 2 – 4 tbsp coconut milk
- 2 – 4 tbsp pineapple jam
*Lime Curd filling
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 2 eggs, beaten
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liner, set aside.
– In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt till combine, set aside.
– In another bowl, combine coconut milk, pineapple juice and coconut extract.
– In another bowl, whip butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time.
– Add dry ingredients alternately with liquid ingredients. Starting and ending with dry ingredients.
– Fold in crushed pineapple.
– Fill prepared muffin pan.
– Bake in preheated oven for 15 – 20 mins or till toothpick comes out clean.
– Let cool.
– Beat butter and shortening till light and fluffy.
– Add coconut milk and 1 cup powdered sugar and mix until combined.
– Add remaining powdered sugar and whip till fluffy.
– Add more coconut milk or powdered sugar until you reach desired consistency.
Lime Curd Filling
– Place sugar, butter, lime juice and lime zest in the top of a double boiler. Stir over medium heat until butter melts.
– Temper 2 tbsp of hot lime mixture into the eggs and stir to blend.
– Slowly whisk egg mixture into the lime mixture.
– Cook over the double broiler until lime mixture thickens and coat the back of a wooden spoon, 20-25 mins.
– Transfer to a glass bowl and cover with saran wrap. Let cool and refrigerate.
Assemble the cupcake:
– Cut a hole in the middle of the cupcake and fill with lime curd filling.
– Pipe a simple swirl frosting and top with maraschino cherry.
– Roll the side of the frosting on the toasted coconut.
***Cupcake recipe source is cookingclassy.com ***Lime curd filling recipe source is allrecipes.com